I just posted an email i got from Wendell on how you can earn a trail spot into Hawaii Surf Team. If you are wondering how, here’s the link http://www.novusswell.com/?p=1289
Let me start off by saying this has nothing to do with the kids who were in the team in the past. I think they all deserved their spots into the team.
Problem I have is HOW the team is picked. Kids who wants to be the part of the team have always ask me “how do i get in the team?”. All I can tell them to is “You just have to surf well and kiss ass the right people.” There have been NO guidelines to qualify into the team or even be invited to the trial.
There are 4 coaches for the team. At most of the local contests here in Hawaii, these coaches don’t even show up to see the talents. I can honestly say I see Hawaii kids surf contests more than they do combined and I’m just one person. So kids need to surf well when the coaches happen to show up at the event. What if a kid had a bad day while a couple of the coaches are at the event. He’s not even getting an invite to the trail.
The coaches are not there to watch the kids at contests and the contest results don’t mean anything… so what are they looking at? what do kids need to do to get in the team? I have no idea. Kids who were doing better than anyone one else in HSA and NSSA weren’t even picked last year. Was it because those kids didn’t have main sponsors? Was it because they didn’t get along with some of the coaches? Was it because they didn’t kiss ass enough to the coaches?
They decided to have Hawaii World Team divisions at one event to get a chance into the trial. Whippy Yeay! Who has to do this? The kids who have been ignored by these people who pick the team. Not the ones who already got sponsors and being put on the spotlights, those kids are sitting pretty. So these kids who are “nobody” to these coaches have to spend $100 just to surf and hope they have a good day and win. What if a kid who’s been consistant and winning most of the events but have a bad day? He’s out. Good luck next year and thank you for your donation.
I’m not saying i should be included in the picking the team, I just want something fair for everyone.
Here are things I want to see from picking of the team if I had my ways.
- Have “scouts” all over Hawaii, not just Oahu but outer islands too.
- Pick 21 kids (7 kids each division)at the end of HSA and NSSA seasons according to their rankings. They are your most consistant competitors.
- Pick 3 kids (1 kid each division) as wildcards after talking to the “scouts”, the one the coaches and scouts think with little coaching they might become great competitors.
- Have multiple days of trials with these 24 kids and pick 12 kids out from there, not just one day.
- Train with all 24 kids after the team’s picked till the event. Right now, kids who aren’t picked at the trial are given cold shoulders after. Why? Train with them, what if someone gets injured?
- Take all 24 kids or at least one alternate from each division to where ever the event is. Even if they don’t surf the event, it’ll be great experience for them. If they can afford to have 4 coaches, they can afford to take 3 extra kids. If not, get rid of a couple of coaches.
I can go on on about this but i’m going to stop now. Hope the coaches read this and think about it.